Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Draped Ceilings

Have you ever been to a wedding with draped ceilings? It's got to be the cutest way to instantly offer a romantic vibe to any space. Which is exactly why I decided to create a look inspired by draped reception halls for my daughters' room. What says dainty cuteness more than loosely hung white fabric? Nothing.. I know!!

So here we go. I bought the remaining fabric of the lightest fabric walmart had marked in the $1.50 a yard fabrics. I have no idea what sort of fabric it was, I'm not a fabric pro, mmkay? However, it was light, semi stretchy, pretty transparent and cut nicely without fraying. Worked for me! I ende up with about 9 and a half yards.

I didn't really have a plan (don't you just love when that happens?). All I knew was that I had 45 minutes to get Caleb to tee-ball practice and it was go time.

I started by stapling an end to one corner of the room, and pulling it into different directions to see the look it would offer. I then realized my dilemma in that the girls had a light and vent that couldn't be covered. I decided to drape it from corner to center of the room right near the light, and then I'd just place a new light fixture that looked like a button over the ends.

After draping, stapling, having dust falling in my eyes and my arms burning from being over my head for so long, I finally managed to drape from each corner to the center without too much of a fight.

I ran to Lowe's and picked up a really cute light fixture that was 2/$21.00 (what a bargain!). I then ran off to practice with Caleb and my wonderful husband installed the new fixture for me.

It turned out so cute, I couldn't be happier with the end result.



No comments:

Post a Comment