Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Wall Art.. Easy!

I've been redecorating my daughters' room (as you know). I was looking for the perfect art to go with their vintage/modern/country chic bedroom. Do you know how hard that is? I could picture it, but I couldn't find anything worthy of their focal point in their room. I wanted something bright, cute, vibrant, different and sweet (as all girls rooms should be!)

Well, that was a bit of a tall order. As I perused through the wall art section of Hobby Lobby, I couldn't help but feel disappointed. Nothing was what I had pictured in my head. And then.. wait for it... there was a light bulb moment! Why don't I just make it!? Come on, Sierra, you should know that is option number one, how could you skip over it and resort to retail therapy? You're better than that! ;)

So, I scurried over to the canvas stretcher isle (see where this is going?)

I'm not above admitting that I, Sierra Marker, am a giant fabric hoarder. Oh yes, what you don't see in my sewing room pictures is the giant 5 ft. pink filing cabinet in my garage that houses 6 drawers of fabrics organized by color. Some of which, I've bought, looked at undecidedly and put back into the drawers in order to save them for a moment that I would gloriously declare, "I know what you'll be!"

Okay, I'll tune down the dramatics. How easy it is to make a whole plot out of my trip to Hobby Lobby when I got a brilliant idea. Again, I digress.

So once I decided the sizes of art pieces I was going to make, the rest was simple. I went with 32" by 36" (2 of each) then 10" by 12" (4 of each to make 2 more).

When I got home I picked out the fabulous fabrics that were awaiting their destiny to become adorable wall art. The largest piece needed a cute accent of some kind, so I decided to make a giant bow on it. I appliqued an elephant on one of the small ones, and left the other alone because the print speaks for itself.

Next (with an added layer of canvas behind the outer fabric) I stretched the fabrics just as I did here.

A little nip/tuck and trim... and viola! Super cute wall art!

No comments:

Post a Comment