Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Canvas Stretching Tutorial

Well good morning!

I thought I'd squeeze one more tutorial on to the blog before we head out to good ol' Las Vegas, NV for the weekend! 

I try to give unique, personalized, well thought out, and hopefully handmade gifts for Christmas. I like to give something that I know for a fact that person doesn't already have. This year, I decided to get photo canvases made of pictures I had taken. I used THIS site to have them made. This particular canvas measures 12" X 18". 


1. You will need 4 canvas stretchers, each measuring 2 inches shorter than the canvas. For my canvas, my stretchers measured 10" and 16". You will also need the canvas and staple gun. I had to use my husband's because I couldn't find my girly one. :( It was a little harder because it requires more muscle.




 2. Close up of how the interlocking stretchers look. You can get these at most craft stores with a canvas section. 

Close up of the canvas.

3. Slide each adjoining stretcher into it's corresponding slot. This takes a little muscle. I felt like a dude during most of this project.

This is how it will look once it's in place. Do this to all ends. 

4. You may need to use a rubber mallet to make sure it's all as even as possible. You can check this by measuring from diagonals and checking if they are the same.

5. Lay the stretcher on the back of the canvas.


6. Stretch the canvas and staple one staple on each end.

7. One each side, staple two staples on each side of the first one. Continue to do this in a circle until you reach the corners. 

8. Once you reach the corner, fold it like a hospital corner and staple it. 

It should look like this.

8. You can hammer down and staples that stick out slightly. This wasn't my best canvas due to the heavy duty stapler. I wasn't able to get as close of a staple. 

9. Staple a string, wire or ribbon to the back to hang it.

This is how it should look. 



 11. Hang and admire your work. You might feel like a totally awesome carpenter. Like Jesus or something. Bask in that for a moment. 

2 comments: