Sunday, February 6, 2011

Juniors to Youth Shorts Re-fashion Tutorial

I love tutorials. Absolutely love them. In fact, there's a site, www.youcanmakethis.com, that women actually sell patterns and tutorials of things they make. It is AWESOME.

I've always wanted to make one, so when I stumbled across a pair of size 11 juniors shorts for a BUCK at walmart, I had to come up with SOMETHING to make out of them. I tried them on, but they're a junior cut, so they were super short and wayyy too wide. So, instead of trying to whip something up for me, I thought making them into size 7/8 youth for my stepdaughter would be great! For a dollar, what could I lose, right?

Well, it was actually incredibly easy. It took me about 20 minutes start to finish. I can't wait to try them on her and see how they fit! I also bought a jump suit for $1, cut the inseam out, finished the edges and it's now one of my favorite shirts! :)


So here we go!

1. Buy giant shorts to make into tiny shorts. Check!

2. Lay small shorts on top of the large shorts. Line up the center (inseam) seams.


3. Hopefully you'll luck out like I did, and be able to cut the pocket out completely (shew!).

4. Open shorts, long ways.
5. Now, we'll insert the elastic the new back casing we created when we cut the shorts on the side seams. If you don't have this option, another idea would be to sew the elastic (stretched) to the inside of the back top. I used 8" of elastic for 7/8 shorts. You may need to measure your model to make sure the correct amount of elastic is used. Or you could be lazy like me and just eyeball the orignal 7/8 shorts. :)
6. Pin elastic at ends, the sew shut 1/2 from the edge on either side.
7. Pin shorts down side seams (right sides facing each other). Then sew shut with 1/2 inch seam allowance.
8. Finish ends with zig-zag stitch or serger. :)
9. Viola!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment