Saturday, February 5, 2011

What I've been working on!

In between orders, I like to keep myself busy making stuff for me or the kids... this time, it was my turn!

Brian gave me 2 button up shirts that were now too small for him, (if he gets any bigger I don't know where we're going to buy him clothes. Maybe I will need to tap into the gigantor mens industry and try my hand at making him some shirts. Maybe.)

Anyway, I've been wanting to try to make a dress out of a button up shirt, sort of how I made Lily a dress out of one here:


For Lily's dress I used a tutorial you can find HERE.

Being that Brian wears a XL, I had plenty of fabric to play with. I began by draping the front and back of the fabrics on my dress form. Once I got the general shape I was looking for, I decided it would be better for a form fit if I sewed the button seams shut. After that, I began draping and pinning the bodice of the dress using one of the long sleeves for material. The important thing to remember when draping is that everything is symmetrical... which takes time. So stick a guilty pleasure reality show on and be patient... in the end you should be able to sew all the darts flat once they are pressed. 

I doubt that made a whole lot of sense, I will definitely need to make a tutorial on this dress, it turned out so cute! And at the rate my husband outgrows his shirts, I could have an entire spring line by the end of winter! :) 

Here's a picture! 



1 comment:

  1. I have told you before you hace some major God given talent for this stuff. The dress looks amazing. I would have never thought of making a dress from a man's shirt. So cool.

    ReplyDelete